Saturday, April 6, 2013

The Subject in Your Composition



Photography is an art form and therefore can be interpreted in many different ways. Your goal is to make it pleasing to your eye. To get there, ask yourself these questions: Who or what is your subject? What captured my attention? Is this the best angle? How can I make this look more interesting?

Defining Your Subject

"If you want your pictures to be better, stand in front of more interesting stuff." - Joe McNally a National Geographic photographer.

Understand that photography is about capturing light. In a broad sense, light is your subject. No one shoots dark. If you do, remove the lens cap. What you need to be able to do is describe what your subject is. If you photograph an old lady walking down the street, consider the details that will be reflected in the image. Is the subject the old lady? Is it the way her hair and the way light is making it look in a particular way? Is it what she is wearing? Your photograph will also be telling a story that will make the viewer think. Is she walking in the morning or evening? What are her surroundings? Where is she going? If she is smiling, why is she smiling?



Angles Define Perspective

Take time to develop your imagination and make a connection to your subject. Observe your subject in different angles, lighting and learn how it may look best. What would make this picture look more interesting? Present the viewer with a different perspective. Portray something they have not seen before.

Here is a photograph of a structure I took that caught my eye. I am not showing the entire structure, only a section of it to make it look more interesting.

Also, consider getting closer to your subject. The closer you get the more likely you are to capture a more powerful composition. When you get close to your subject you will limit color, lines and shapes and will be getting rid of distractions.

The following picture was taken of the side of a stairway one evening. I took many pictures of the stairway and from different angles until I found what was pleasing to my eye. In this case it was just the vibrant blue color mixed with the white lines.


Seeing More Accurately

Seeing more accurately is to learn how to arrange the elements in the frame to direct the viewer's eye.  If you pay close attention to your surroundings you will notice more and more opportunities to snap an interesting picture.

When I started out in photography and wanted to take better pictures, I began to see the world in a much different way. I like to run and during my morning or evening runs I would notice how the light made something ordinary look interesting. I had not seen this before because I was not looking for it. Later I would return to the spot and study the area from different angles and take pictures. Returning to an area will often get you better acquainted with your subject and you will find something new and interesting.

Practice constantly and if possible, walk with a camera at all times. What's even better is the fact that you don't need expensive equipment to do it. Any camera, including your smart phone will work.

This photograph was taken on a busy intersection but I was able to capture just what was interesting to me, removing other distracting elements like cars, people, sidewalks, etc.

Use Your Imagination

When you begin to see more acutely, your imagination will create new and more interesting ways to view your subject. Maybe you will like to present the subject in a particular mood or style. This will be reflected in your photographs over time and soon it will be something you will do automatically. You will have the ability to use an image to present the viewer with a story.



A book that has been interesting and helpful to me is The Art of Photography: An Approach to Personal Expression by Bruce Barnbaum. It talks about all of the topics described above and helps you focus on seeing, not just looking, which leads to better composition and better pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Strong opening, and also noticed your use of thirds from your earlier post. The second and 4th photos probably transfer the most emotion to me, I'm not sure why I like the second but I keep going back to it.

    ReplyDelete